We are so pleased to announce to you our newest team member and birth doula, Delena! She answered our customary Q&A so we can get to know her a little better!
1) What did you do before you became a doula?
Before I became a doula, I worked multiple positions within the banking industry.
2) What inspired you to become a doula?
I had been in labor support roles before for friends. It wasn’t until one of my friends hired a doula that I knew I could make this an occupation.
3) Tell us about your family.
My family is originally from Oklahoma, but we’re spread out all over the map. We have reunions every other year and we really are dog people, we just love them!
4) What is your favorite vacation spot and why?
My favorite vacation spot is anywhere near an ocean or lake. The water really calms me.
5) Name your top five bands/musicians and tell us what you love about them.
Jay-Z, Amy Winehouse, Ari Lennox, J.Cole, and Aretha Franklin. They all just speak to my soul. I’m really into lyricism and emotion.
6) What is the best advice you have given to new families?
Don’t stress over if you’re doing it right or wrong. There’s no cookie cutter way that fits everyone. You have to figure out what works for you.
7) What do you consider your doula superpower to be?
I consider myself to be an empath. This makes me very compassionate and comforting as a doula.
8) What is your favorite food?
9) What is your favorite place in West Michigan’s Gold Coast?
South Haven. My family used to vacation there during the summers.
10) What are you reading now?
The Doula Book 3rd edition.
11) Who are your role models?
The women in my family are great role models. They really have a heart for people and made sure that I grew up knowing the importance of being of service to others.